Monday, September 04, 2006

an elegant proof of why time travel will not be possible in my life-time

here is an elegant proof of why time travel will not be possible in my life-time:

1) if time-travel becomes possible in the future (within my life-time), i will do my utmost to ensure i get to have a go on the machine

2) once in the machine i will set the time and location to 1635, ten minutes from now, back here in 311.

3) once back here, i will leave a marker (say a cheese sandwich) on the desk

4) thus, if in ten minutes a cheese sandwich does not appear, we can be sure that they will not have invented time travel within my life time.

i'll let you know the results in a minute.

3 Comments:

Blogger jps said...

superb, at last a true test of science without error bars. I eagerly anticipate the sandwich

3:36 PM  
Blogger jim said...

of course, if true, it will mean a future copy of me walking through the door (presumably as an old man) with a cheese sandwich. that would be odd indeed. i'd imagine it's going to screw up the space-time continuum.

3:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What if the "scientific establishment" don't let you use their brand spanking new time machine. Then you could never quite be sure.

Any updates on the cheese sandwich?

3:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home